Northwest Mud Trucks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Northwest Mud Trucks

Pacific Northwest Forum For Mud Racing, Mud Trucks, Trail Events And Anything Truck And Dirt Related

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mud_Dog Robert wants gear advice

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mudallica

Mudallica

Mud_Dog Robert wants gear advice Empty
PostSubject: Mud_Dog Robert wants gear advice   Mud_Dog Robert wants gear advice EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 9:25 pm

Robert was asking me if I thought going from 4.10's to 4.56's was a good idea. I say hell yeah. But then he tells me that he is thinking of going to 44's in the near future. I told him I was wanting to go with 5.13 gears like Allan has in his stepside. So now he is debating on spending the money on the 4.56's now and spending money again on future 5.13's. Giving it more thought... if he gets a good deal on the 4.56's... he can always sell them for what he has into them if and when he goes lower gears.

So what ya'all say? Should he put the 4.56's in now? Should he stick with the 4.10's and put his money elsewhere?
Back to top Go down
http://mudallica.com
Mud_dog

Mud_dog

PostSubject: Re: Mud_Dog Robert wants gear advice   Mud_Dog Robert wants gear advice EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 9:07 pm

ya thanks for the advice wane spending the money on my new traler it is 35 feet long
Back to top Go down
BuddyLee

BuddyLee

PostSubject: gear advice   Mud_Dog Robert wants gear advice EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 11:51 pm

well from my experience if you have 36inch hummer tires and a bigblock and 4 sped in a full size blazer you can hold third even in the thickest mud but some times lack the speed
but when i put the 38's on i could launch in third and hold 5500 rpms but you lose speed real quick in the thick stuff and be forced to grab second
with 4.56's i could hold third in the thick and second seemed non producitve. but that was then
if you had a smalblock not so built and an auto tranny you might need 5.39's for 44's unless you heva a super low kit in a 205
but here's my take if you buy the 3:1 or 4:1 kit what ever it is you can have much more versatility like 4.56's and still drive the speed limit but have triple the torque in low range so cost vs versatilty i would do the super low kit and stick with common gears that are cheaper to replace and do all your gearing make up through the t case then you can have an easier time swapping it out if you ever want to sell it without pulling axles and all that jazz too
Back to top Go down
busch pounder MJ

busch pounder MJ

PostSubject: gears   Mud_Dog Robert wants gear advice EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 12:49 pm

if you crunch the numbers 44's should be running at least 5.13 5.39 be even closer to stock final ratio but lots of torque makes up for high gear ratio
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mud_Dog Robert wants gear advice   Mud_Dog Robert wants gear advice Empty

Back to top Go down

Mud_Dog Robert wants gear advice
Page 1 of 1